The primary duties of the Communications & Marketing Coordinator are to manage the day-to-day communications and marketing for the Philadelphia Marathon and related races. Communications & marketing management includes but is not limited to media relations, social media, email marketing, web content, print design for annual reports and other projects, paid advertising and video. This position is located in the Community and Culture cabinet and reports to the executive director of the marathon.
This is a 12 month contract position
Work with Department staff to effectively execute all matter of Communications on behalf of that department, including but not limited to the following duties
- Ensure major announcements and events have a comprehensive communications plan, including digital and traditional communications outreach
- Lead or assist with media relations, including responding to media or drafting press releases on behalf of a department
- Oversee or help oversee sponsorship agreements, including providing sample social media content
- Develop social media content, web content, digital engagement plan and any other digital material
- Develop and manage email campaigns, including implementation, list management and data analysis
- 4-6 years paid experience in Communications
- Experience managing organizational systems
- Experience with both digital and traditional Communications
- Experience managing digital and traditional advertising campaigns is not a requirement but a plus
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills: Must be able to handle simultaneous “priority” projects and meet established deadlines.
- Effective and persuasive leadership comfortable with all levels of staff, public and others
- Ability to exercise sound and independent judgment within general policy guidelines
- Positive disposition
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to largely manage your own daily responsibilities without significant oversight
- Must be able to work extended hours on an as-needed basis.
- Strong understanding and expertise in the following social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Familiarity with other digital platforms like YouTube and Snapchat
- Strong working knowledge of website management systems
- Experienced at email marketing, list building, and list management including segmentation
- Graphic design skills are not a requirement but a plus, especially with a focus on social media, web, and/or email content
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age,disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to pchr@ phila.gov. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website at: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations
The successful candidate must reside in the City of Philadelphia or establish primary residence in the City of Philadelphia within 6 months of employment.