Start date :
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
Action Against Hunger is an international non-governmental, private, apolitical, non-religious and non-profit organization created in 1979. Its goal is to combat hunger and dangerous situations that threaten men, women and children. Currently 500 expats and more than 5,000 employees are working for Action Against Hunger in more than forty-six countries working in projects concerning four areas of focus: nutrition, health, food security and water and sanitation.
The Roving Communications Officer will provide strategic communications support—working at field level but reporting to Action Against Hunger HQ—to a number of missions that have been identified by the Action Against Hunger International Communications IMG as “priority” countries for 2018 or where major emergency situations or crisis arise. The Roving Communications Officer will produce professional quality photographs and written stories, narratives, and testimonies; work with local and international media to highlight issues and key messages relevant to Action Against Hunger’s work; and will help gather information to document program activities and help position Action Against Hunger as a leading voice on hunger and humanitarian action in each mission.
During the year, the Roving Communications Officer will be deployed for a period of 4 to 8 consecutive weeks to each of the identified missions, with brief visits to relevant HQs for briefings and strategic planning meetings as needed. The Roving Communications Officer’s primary objective is to documenting our impact and challenges in the field by producing a regular, firsthand supply of information from the field to HQ, including regular information updates, firsthand stories and narratives, photographs, documentation and summaries of key program achievements and impact, talking points, key messages, and support field staff in preparation for media engagement and interviews.
Ideally the roving comms officer will have 3 to 6 missions pre-identified and planned missions at the beginning of the year and will be available to be deployed into 3 to 6 emergency/crisis.
Key activities in your role will include
- To produce and disseminate internal and external communications outputs (photographs and written output) at field level in 6 key Action Against Hunger missions that have been agreed as “priority countries” for 2018 by the Communications IMG.
- The Roving Communications Officer will collect firsthand information on Action Against Hunger’s interventions, consolidate internal information, manage engagement with international media, and produce stories, photographs, and narratives for use in HQ-level communications outreach across the network—also for use in support of fundraising and advocacy efforts relevant to the missions.
- In emergency situations that may arise in the selected missions, the Roving Communications Officer will report in real time on the emergency (context, needs, challenges), produce external emergency situation reports, draft key messages, support media engagement, and produce photographs, emergency updates, program stories and beneficiary testimonies, narratives for media pitches, and other content for use by advocacy, communications, and External Relations teams in outreach to key stakeholders, and to ensure visibility for Action Against Hunger’s response to the disaster.
Do you meet the profile required criteria ?
- Journalism or communications.
- Communication skills: photography, video editing, web editing, social media management, writing.
- 2 years of experience in similar positions
- English + Spanish or French.
- Italian, Arabic or German will be valuable
- MS Office, web editors,
- International mobility
- Valuable prior experience in issues related to the promotion of gender equality or personal commitment to gender equality.
Our remuneration package:
We offer immediate incorporation to a dynamic international network with the following remuneration package:
- Work contract: 12 month
- Salary: between 24.000 € and € 28.000 € gross per year.
- 25 working days of paid leave per year.
- Meal vouchers.